Hello All,
I am curious to know if other institutions have NPO requirements in order
to do an ultrasound for pyloric stenosis?  I recently started a job at a
new hospital and was told that we have to keep babies NPO for 3 hours
before radiology will do the ultrasound, which was something I had never
heard before.  Not only does this delay time to diagnosis, but also
distresses families with young babies who scream for that last hour before
they can have the test done.  I looked up the literature and it seems like
this used to be the standard, but based on the measurements that need to be
obtained it seems somewhat unnecessary.

Questions for the group:
- Do your institutions have a policy about keeping babies NPO prior to US
for pyloric stenosis, or will they do it at any point in time?
- If they require NPO, for how long?
- Does anyone have literature that substantiates this practice, or more
importantly, literature that states this practice is unnecessary?

Thanks in advance,
Matt Thornton

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html