>   corresp="#string-range(wd:abc,0,4)

Hey, Martin. I'm not so sure ... the definition of the first argument
to string-range is "IDREF | XPATH". Surely "wd:abc" is not an IDREF,
and I don't see how it is an XPath, either.

But Hayim wants to point to something in another document, so
starting his data.pointer with a hash is at best counter-intuitive.
I'm thinking maybe something like

   corresp="wd:document#string-range(id('abc'),0,4)"

(of course that's not much better than the original

   corresp="string-range( ../folder/text.xml#abc,0,4)"

but at least Hayim can decide which he likes better).