As Fabio says,  "The Header (even the good old standalone Header) is
thought to document a TEI encoded text and eventually its source, and is
not a general purpose metadata schema for electronic resources"

However, when we introduced the <facsimile> element, we did give some
thought to expanding the scope of the Header along the way you want. The
fact that you can have a digital resource, described by a TEI Header,
which consists entirely of (non-XML) page images,  indicates as much. So
one very simple solution would be to use <facsimile>, like this:

<TEI xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0">
<teiHeader><!-- all your metadata --><teiHeader>
</TEI>

That to me implies that the pdf file xxxx contains a representation of
the whole object which is described by the teiHeader.

However, if the feeling is that this is not quite semantically correct,
since it is not a representation of the object, but the object itself
(and here we stray into murky philosophical waters), you could also
define a new element (say, "<nonTEIObject>" with similar attributes to
<media>) and add it to the model.resourceLike class.

Or (but please don't) you could submit a feature request for <media> to
be added to that class....

Lou