Hi Martin,

> It seems slightly odd to me that <entryFree> can contain
> <superEntry> rather than the reverse.

You find a reason for this in the model class system (Guidelines
Appendix A Model Classes).
<entry>, <entryFree> and <superEntry> form the model class 'model.entryLike':
"model.entryLike groups elements structurally analogous to paragraphs
within dictionaries."
That is what you would expect within dictionaries.

Then there is another model class 'model.entryPart': "groups non-morphological
elements appearing within a dictionary entry". together with a reference to
chapter 9.1 'Dictionary Body and Overall Structure' of the Guidelines. But I
couldn't find it there.
This model class listed in chapter 1.5 'The TEI Infrastructure Module' of
the Guidelines as a component of Module tei: 'Declarations for
classes, datatypes,
and macros available to all TEI modules'.
'model.entryPart' is used by <cit>, <dictScrap>, <entryFree> and
<nym> and has as
members "colloc def etym form gramGrp hom hyph lbl orth pos pron re sense subc
superEntry syll usg xr". This is why <entryFree> may contain
"<superentry>" and
<cit>, <dictScrap> and <nym> as well. I can't find a lexicographical
reason for that.
May be someone else can.
Could it be a forgotten relic of a reorganization of model classes?

Best regards from Franconia
Werner