Dear Gerrit,

I think the <milestone/> with @change is a good solution. I meant to use @n to track the stages and @type with value="stage" but now realize that this information must be in the header as you suggested -- I totally overlooked it!

Thanks a lot for your message.

All the best,

Dear Antonio,

You are allowed to supply @change to any element you whant: to what you call "editorial and original divisions" and even to single chunk elements (<l> and the like).
However, I would prefer to keep these two views on the text ("structural" vs. "genetic") separate. Both views frequently overlap so that one view typically does not well fit into the other.
This is why we use the generic <milestone/> with @change.
I am not sure whether I fully understand your use of @n and @type.
Information about, say, the chronological order of stages is stored in the respective <change> element in the header, the xml:id of which you point to with @change.

Best regards,