Dear Piotr,

to be honest I would suggest you to adopt other metadata schema much
more apt at this, like MODS, or if you want to concentrate on tech and
prov metadata PREMIS, or else if you want all this and more METS. That
said during last tech council meeting we have worked on a proposal for
adding a container element to include metadata from outer schema/
namespace inside the TEI Header and that could be a potential solution
for your use case.

Iff you really want to use TEI and only TEI, at the moment I do not
see any elegant solution, but only tricks. The ontology of metadata
section in TEI is a bit outdated imho, something to work on for P6!

Your idea of using <media> inside <extent> could work, and is vaguely
consistent with other metadata structure: for instance the mime type
in MODS goes inside the <mods:physicalDescription> area, the same
where <mods:extent> is.

ANother solution is the usage of <noteStmt> and <note> with a @type
attribute, where yuo can express the mime type:

<noteStmt>
<note type="mimetype">application/pdf</note>
</noteStsmt>.

You can control the correct usage of the note with Schematron.

fabio