That isn't a bad idea.
I think I might just do that.
Thanks.
On Thu, 2/5/15, Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 Subject: Re: More Visual Alien Language (The version I sent on purpose this time)
 To: [log in to unmask]

 On 5 February 2015 at
 18:41, Kalem Tysick <[log in to unmask]>
 wrote:
 > Yeah, but I also want a feel
 like they didn't plan the transphonation (because they
 didn't, in the story). I want to look like it has
 structure but at the same time look like it wasn't made
 to be pronounced by anybody. (Because in the story, it
 wasn't)

 That seems
 easily arranged: apply phonotactic rules, in order to
 produce recognizable structure, but use rules
 that make no sense for a
 human language. You
 can then just assert that they make perfect sense
 when transliterated back into the alien
 mode.
 Alternately, you could look at your
 set of alien color/texture
 patterns and try
 to actually come up with rules that really do make
 sense for those, and then apply them to the
 transliteration when
 generating vocabulary.
 But that might be more work than is strictly
 necessary, if you don't intend to focus
 much on the original alien
 language anyway.
 And since you're inventing their whole physiology and
 language apparatus anyway, there's nothing
 particularly wrong with
 simply asserting
 that whatever random phonotactic rules you decide to
 come up with do in fact make sense for these
 aliens.

 It's not like
 there isn't a ridiculous degree of variation in human
 phonotactics anyway. :)

 -l.

 > On Thu, 2/5/15, Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]>
 wrote:

 Re: More Visual Alien Language (The version I sent on
 purpose this time)
 >  To: [log in to unmask]
 5:46 PM

 >  On 5
 February 2015 at
 >  15:27, Kalem Tysick
 >  wrote:
 >  > In
 this alien invasion story I
 >  am
 writing the aliens come mainly to "culture"
 >  Earth and bring them to worshipping
 their god. (They are
 >  missionaries to
 Earth). Part of their religion teaches that
 >  all languages (apart from their own)
 were created by their
 >  devil
 character. Therefore it follows, that to be saved, one
 >  must adopt their language. Their own
 language comprises of
 >  combinations of
 skin colour and texture changes. But, seeing
 >  as humans cannot change their skin's
 colour and texture
 >  (at least not
 rapidly or to match those of the aliens), the
 >  aliens devise an alternative system.
 Assuming the majority
 >  of humans
 understand Latin letters, they assign each of the
 >  letters in their colour-texture alphabet
 a corresponding
 >  letter from various
 Latin-derived alphabets (as well as one
 >  Cyrillic letter, which they put in by
 mistake).
 >  > This is the alphabet I
 have decided that
 >  they come up
 with:
 >  > A H Þ Ç Z S Æ Ú
 >  B I Ð Œ Y R Á Ñ À C J Č DZ Ï D Q
 Ł ∀ Ê W K Ø Ò
 >  E P ß Å Ù V L
 È Я Ǎ Ö F O Ô U M G T N É Ì X

 >  >
 >

 >  Later in the story I plan to
 have a rival group of the same

 species with a similar, but different religion and a
 >  different language arrive on Earth and
 start a Holy War on
 >  our planet.
 (Maybe even involving human converts in the
 >  battles). They too have this 'you
 must learn our
 >  language to be
 saved' idea. So they copy the idea of the
 >  first group and make their own
 alphabet.
 >  > It looks like this:
 >  > A
 >  J K T U Á
 Č É DZ À Ǎ B I L S V Ð Ł Ç ∀ Ï Ì C H M
 >  R W Æ ß Ú Ø Ê & D G N Q X Þ È
 Œ Å Ò E F O P Y
 >  Z Ô Ñ Ж Ù
 >  >
 >  > Here
 >  are the original alphabets and the
 corresponding patterns,
 >  as well as
 their numerals and some words for numbers:
 >  > https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B61Hd7qQG9rBSWQydmxKQ08yYVE
 >  > I realize of course that the
 patterns are
 >  over-simplified, but I
 won't have my character focus too

 much on the original language as much as the humanized
 >  version which he will be forced to
 speak. He will be forced
 >  to learn to
 understand the aliens' colour-texture
 >  version, but I would rather keep that
 bit as simple as an
 >  entirely visual
 language built from the ground up can be.
 >  > I'm still sure how I should
 develop a

 complete-enough-for-the-purposes-of-the-story lexicon for
 >  language such as this. Thoughts?
 >
 >  If you presume that
 the transliteration /
 >  transphonation
 that they /
 >  you derived to
 >  allow humans to speak it is reasonably
 precise and
 >  accurate (that is, close
 to a one-to-one
 /
 >  coloremes? in the
 >  alien language), it seems to me like you
 have the
 >  problem solved: develop the
 lexicon the same
 >  way you would for