On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 16:32:21 +0000
David McCann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Feb 2015 21:06:06 -0500
> kechpaja <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Thus, as my idea went, what would happen if both the auxiliary verb
> > and the remaining past participle inflections were also lost? The
> > auxiliary is already reduced to "ha" in many cases, and it wouldn't
> > be too hard to imagine it being deleted entirely (this happens in
> > some colloquial Englishes already). I imagine that, in the absense of
> > any morphological indication of tense, the language might end up with
> > a system in which tense was distinguished by word order only.
>
> The idea attracted me, but then I realised that it would only work with
> transitive verbs:
> Er lis de buch = He's reading the book
> Er de buch lis = He read the book
> Er kom = He is comming / He came
>
> Of course, one could have a particle retained for intransitives only
> Er he kom = He came

That's true, if one sticks with the original Germanic word order. I'm still debating whether or not I want to try and implement this as an actual Germanic conlang, or whether I want to create something a priori, and this issue is one thing that's pushing me towards the latter (although the solution that you gave — retaining the auxiliary for intransitives — is also enticing, and probably a bit more naturalistic). With an a priori conlang, I could sidestep this issue by using VSO word order in the present tense and SVO/SOV in the perfect, or perhaps vice versa:

Present (to continue using your example lexemes):
Lis er de buch = He's reading the book (VSO)
Kom er = He's coming (VS)

Perfect:
Er de buch lis = He read the book (SOV)
Er kom = He came (SV)

Another possibility would be to require that all intransitive verbs have a separable prefix (much like what Alex described in his language) which would go at the end of the sentence in the present tense, and remain attached to the verb in the perfect. Given how prevalent such verbs already are in German, this isn't too hard to imagine.

Thanks!

-Kelvin

--
kechpaja <[log in to unmask]>