On 2015-04-01 6:21 PM, Scott Raney wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 8:45 PM, Logan Streondj <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
>> my son (under two) has trouble with fricative-plosive initials  for
>> example stand and school bus, comes out as tand and cool bus sometimes.
>>
>> I've also removed all diphthongs from the language, as he was having
>> trouble pronouncing them, and they are fairly rare in non germanic
>> languages.
>
> This is kind of like my proposal for Matchish, except that I think I'd
> be willing to exclude anyone under 8 or so from participation. What's
> important is whether Japanese and Swahili and Urdu speakers can
> produce and distinguish these sounds, not small children...

However, another issue is, What is the target audience for learners of
an IAL? As Mario Pei pointed out in the 1950s, approximately speaking
all languages are equally easy for little children to learn in immersion
environments. If IAL X is taught to all little children in the world,
then there should be little problem with the phonology and phonotactics.
But if it is presumed that most initial / original learners will be
adults with already fixed habits, then it is a different matter.

--
Paul Bartlett