Dear fellows,

I am bringing to your attention an issue from a student. She is preparing the edition of a medieval chanson de geste. The encoding of this work in vers is very straightforward, it uses divs, containing <lg>s, containing <l>.

The several witnesses have a common trunk where manuscripts only show minor variants. Then, for the ending, the tradition divides into two branches, each with an alternative ending.

While we wait for the much-needed upgrade of <app> from phrase-level to paragraph-level (or better div-level), what would be the best-practice recommended to encode this alternative ending?

Best regards,
Marjorie