That was my reading as well. Your recommended placement within supportDesc deep within msDesc seems spot on to me.

Thanks, mike
On 30/04/2015 22:00, Elisa Beshero-Bondar wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Dear TEI list,
As I'm reading about correspDesc (see http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/HD.html#HD44CD ), the focus seems to be on a concise compilation of metadata to describe the initiator, recipient and dates associated with an act of correspondence. It does not seem to be about describing the physical marks on a letter, such as the shapes and positions of postal marks or the presence and appearance of wax seals. Within correspDesc, it seems to me the markup would indicate simply the metadata gleaned from our reading of the surface marks, not a description of the surface marks themselves.

Thus, if I were to answer my own question, I'd say, I think I ought to leave all that physical stuff I posted in my previous message right where it is in <sourceDesc>, and sum up information about the letter in the correspDesc. Is that the right answer?

Thanks,
Elisa