Dear Torsten,

my <history> would look very similar to your <condition>, I think.* Indeed the description can be a mixture of both of these aspects. Maybe it would be better to seperate the physical aspect ("Leaves are cut out") from the more "historical" aspect ("They are now part of Ms XY").  Anyway, I support your advice to use altIdentifier in the case of fragments. @form just seems to be usable for some kind of classifying, but I am not sure if it can or should be used for a more complex physical or historical description.

Best,
Philipp