Hi Jeffrey,

maybe your question has been answered by now, but here are some thoughts:

I also think the <encodingDesc> would be suitable for information about
the type of edition/transcription. The TEI guidelines do not allow @type
within <encodingDesc>, though (which makes sense since this attribute
might be mistaken as referring to a type of encoding description rather
than to a type of edition, I guess).

So, how about using the child-element <editorialDecl> within
<encodingDesc> instead and put a prose description of your edition
criteria in here?
(For the Deutsches Textarchiv corpus we are using the <editorialDecl> in
a similar way for a statement about our text transcription and encoding
guidelines, cf. e.g.
http://www.deutschestextarchiv.de/api/tei_header/goethe_torquato_1790).

However, this encoding might not help you very much in terms of your
schema specification. So, how about additionally using the @type
attribute within the <text> element (i.e. outside the teiHeader area)
for this purpose:
<text type="criticalEdition">
<text type="diplomaticTranscription">
?

Hope that helps. Best,
Susanne.

--
Susanne Haaf, M.A.
Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften

Jägerstr. 22/23, 10117 Berlin
[log in to unmask], +49 (0)30 2037 0523
www.deutschestextarchiv.de, www.clarin-d.de