Print

Print


Hello,

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 7:19 AM, Jeffrey Witt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>
>  I may be wrong, but I thought the Shelley-Godwin archive was also doing
> stuff with TEI and IIIF.
>

Yes, we use Shared Canvas with our own viewer and annotate the canvas with
TEI transcriptions. http://shelleygodwinarchive.org/contents/frankenstein

We subclassed oa:Annotation to bring some of the semantics from the TEI
into the viewer (we're not sure whether we'll keep doing this in our next
iterations, though). We plan on moving to IIIF eventually, but that might
need some time. For clarity, IIIF incorporates and uses the Shared Canvas
ontology.

Jeffrey, how are you annotating the TEI on to the canvas? We use
annotations and oax:TextOffsetSelector (
http://www.openannotation.org/spec/extension/#SelectorOffset) to link to
text strings in the TEI.

All the best,
Raff


>
>  What are your specific needs or interests? I can probably offer a few
> more suggestions if I knew the kind of end result you were after.
>
>  Best wishes,
> jw
>  --
>  Dr. Jeffrey C. Witt
>  Philosophy Department
>  Loyola University Maryland
>  4501 N. Charles St.
>  Baltimore, MD 21210
>
>
>
>
>
>  On 5/1/15, 12:01 AM, "TEI-L automatic digest system" <
> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>  There are 4 messages totaling 1036 lines in this issue.
>
>  Topics of the day:
>
>    1. page for TEI wiki on SharedCanvas
>   2. Postmarks in correspondence (3)
>
>  ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>  Date:    Thu, 30 Apr 2015 11:13:41 -0400
> From:    Joe Wicentowski <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: page for TEI wiki on SharedCanvas
>
>  Hi all,
>
>  I'd be curious to know if anyone here has adopted or worked with Shared
> Canvas (http://iiif.io/model/shared-canvas/) since Kevin's post last
> August?
>
>  Joe
>
>  On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 8:38 PM, Kevin Hawkins <
> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>  Colleagues,
>
>  From a few scattered mentions online, it seems that SharedCanvas (
> http://www.shared-canvas.org/ ) has some way of working with TEI
> documents, or being used by people who also use TEI.  But I can't make out
> enough of the relation to actually create a page at
> http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/Category:Tools .  Is there anyone who
> knows something about it who'd be willing to create this page?  The TEI
> community would appreciate it!
>
>  Kevin
>
>
>  ------------------------------
>
>  Date:    Thu, 30 Apr 2015 21:20:41 +0100
> From:    Michael Hawkins <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Postmarks in correspondence
>
>  I'm currently in the middle of updating a bunch of transcripts of
> manuscript correspondence to take advantage of correspDesc. However, I'm
> having problems figuring out how to deal with postmarks. Does anyone on the
> list have any suggestions on how they could be encoded? Unfortunately, our
> postmarks aren't currently encoded with a great deal of granularity. It
> isn't feasible (right now) to tease out the separate bits of information on
> places, dates, etc so that might limit the options a bit.
>
>  Thanks in advance,
>
>  Michael Hawkins
>
>  ------------------------------
>
>  Date:    Thu, 30 Apr 2015 16:52:11 -0400
> From:    Elisa Beshero-Bondar <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Postmarks in correspondence
>
>  Dear Michael and list,
> Here's how we're handling postmarks and wax seals and such for 19th-century
> letters in the Digital Mitford project. They're not always clear or
> consistent, so it's difficult to deal with them in a granular way, as you
> indicate!
>
>  As a followup question: Would the wisdom of the list suggest I should
> move
> this information into the profileDesc, to sit in correspDesc? We could move
> all this from <sourcDesc> to <profileDesc> with a batch transformation.
>
>  Anyway, this will show you our thinking on how to handle the complexities
> of postmarks and seals--and I'd love some feedback!
>
>  Thanks,
> Elisa Beshero-Bondar
>
>
>    <sourceDesc>
>
>             <msDesc>
>
>                     <msIdentifier>
>
>                  <respository ref="#Rylands">The John Rylands University
> Library</repository>
>
>                      <collection><!--Letter is a part of which collection
> or
> volume of letters?-->
>
>  Mitford-Talfourd Correspondence: Letters from Mary Russell Mitford to
> Thomas Noon Talfourd: vol. 665</collection>
>
>                        <idno><!--Enter MS number or shelfmark here→->
> qB/TU/MIT</idno>
>
>                   </msIdentifier>
>
>
>
>  <head>Letter from Mary Russell Mitford to T.N. Talfourd, <date
> when="1822-08-13">1822 August 13</date>.<note resp="#lmw"><persName
> ref="#MRM">MRM</persName> dates this letter <date>August 13</date> and it
> is posted on <date>the 14th</date>.</note><!--ebb: Put an editorial note
> here when we need to explain how we arrived at this date. We could
> reference Coles, L'Estrange, or others here, too, if it helps to
> authenticate date, recipient, etc.--></head>
>
>  </head>
>
>              <physDesc>
>
>                  <objectDesc>
>
>                             <supportDesc>
>
>                          <support>
>
>      <p><material>Paper</material> with watermark in form of
> <watermark>anchor</watermark> visible on second sheet.</p>
>
>  <p>How many distinct sheets of paper do you count in this letter (as
> opposed to the number of pages--usually 4--marked on the fronts and backs
> and over folds)? Indicate number of sheets, and size of sheets, whether
> this is a fragment, and if so what appears to be missing. Two sheets of
> quarto-post folded in thirds twice. OR octavo-post OR 16-mo post, folded
> once or twice, etc. (If you can’t tell what size paper this is b/c you’re
> working with a photo or just don’t know, you can simply say, one large
> sheet, with a half-size smaller sheet inside, etc.)
>
>  Describe any watermarks here, and on what sheets they appear.
>
>  Envelope present, or only an address leaf?
>
>  [EXAMPLE]:  Folded in thirds twice: one sheet of quarto-post containing
> pages 1, 2, 5 and 6, and one sheet of half quarto post containing pages 3
> and 4. Watermark in form of <watermark>unicorn</watermark> visible on page
> three </p>
>
>  <p>Describe stamps or postal marks here.
>
>  It'll help to look at our slides on how to identify the different stamps:
>
> http://digitalmitford.wordpress.com/2014/05/27/the-digital-mitfords-guide-to-19th-century-british-postmarks-and-how-to-code-them-in-tei/
> <
> http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fdigitalmitford.wordpress.com%2F2014%2F05%2F27%2Fthe-digital-mitfords-guide-to-19th-century-british-postmarks-and-how-to-code-them-in-tei%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGIM5TZPunvD-TSJh2BJ7JV4kZ_UA
> >
>
>  Use the <lb/> element to indicate what’s above and below if needed.
> Envelope bearing large stamped date inside circle reading <date
> when="1818-04-20"><stamp>April 20<lb/>1818</stamp></date> above right of
> address. Address leaf bearing sepia-inked stamp reading <stamp><time>7
> o'Clock</time><lb/><date>29 * JU</date> <lb/><date>1820</date> N.
> <unclear><gap quantity="1" unit="chars"
> reason="illegible"/></unclear></stamp> at top left-hand edge upside down in
> relation to the writing of the address.</p>
>
>  </support>
>
>  <condition><p>Comment on the condition: is the letter damaged, signs of
> mold? Example: A portion of page 3 has been torn away under the
> seal.</p></condition>
>
>  </supportDesc>
>
>
>
>                   </objectDesc>
>
>                      <sealDesc>
>
>                               <p>Is there a seal on this letter? Describe
> it. Red oval-shaped wax seal with diagonal line, and at the bottom
> lettering <q>anders</q>. Or indicate here if the seal is missing.</p>
>
>          </sealDesc>
>
>          </physDesc>
>
>            </msDesc>
>
>     </sourceDesc>
>
>
>
>
>
>  On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 4:20 PM, Michael Hawkins <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>  I'm currently in the middle of updating a bunch of transcripts of
> manuscript correspondence to take advantage of correspDesc. However, I'm
> having problems figuring out how to deal with postmarks. Does anyone on the
> list have any suggestions on how they could be encoded? Unfortunately, our
> postmarks aren't currently encoded with a great deal of granularity. It
> isn't feasible (right now) to tease out the separate bits of information on
> places, dates, etc so that might limit the options a bit.
>
>  Thanks in advance,
>
>  Michael Hawkins
>
>
>
>
>  --
> Elisa Beshero-Bondar, PhD
> Associate Professor of English
> University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg
> Humanities Division
> 150 Finoli Drive
> Greensburg, PA  15601  USA
> E-mail: [log in to unmask]
> about.me/ebbondar
>
>  ------------------------------
>
>  Date:    Thu, 30 Apr 2015 17:00:46 -0400
> From:    Elisa Beshero-Bondar <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Postmarks in correspondence
>
>  Dear TEI list,
> As I'm reading about correspDesc (see
> http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/HD.html#HD44CD ), the
> focus seems to be on a concise compilation of metadata to describe the
> initiator, recipient and dates associated with an act of correspondence. It
> does not seem to be about describing the physical marks on a letter, such
> as the shapes and positions of postal marks or the presence and appearance
> of wax seals. Within correspDesc, it seems to me the markup would indicate
> simply the metadata gleaned from our reading of the surface marks, not a
> description of the surface marks themselves.
>
>  Thus, if I were to answer my own question, I'd say, I think I ought to
> leave all that physical stuff I posted in my previous message right where
> it is in <sourceDesc>, and sum up information about the letter in the
> correspDesc. Is that the right answer?
>
>  Thanks,
> Elisa
>
>  .
>
>  On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 4:52 PM, Elisa Beshero-Bondar <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>  Dear Michael and list,
> Here's how we're handling postmarks and wax seals and such for
> 19th-century letters in the Digital Mitford project. They're not always
> clear or consistent, so it's difficult to deal with them in a granular way,
> as you indicate!
>
>  As a followup question: Would the wisdom of the list suggest I should
> move
> this information into the profileDesc, to sit in correspDesc? We could move
> all this from <sourcDesc> to <profileDesc> with a batch transformation.
>
>  Anyway, this will show you our thinking on how to handle the complexities
> of postmarks and seals--and I'd love some feedback!
>
>  Thanks,
> Elisa Beshero-Bondar
>
>
>     <sourceDesc>
>
>              <msDesc>
>
>                      <msIdentifier>
>
>                   <respository ref="#Rylands">The John Rylands University
> Library</repository>
>
>                       <collection><!--Letter is a part of which collection
> or volume of letters?-->
>
>  Mitford-Talfourd Correspondence: Letters from Mary Russell Mitford to
> Thomas Noon Talfourd: vol. 665</collection>
>
>                         <idno><!--Enter MS number or shelfmark here→->
>   qB/TU/MIT</idno>
>
>                    </msIdentifier>
>
>
>
>  <head>Letter from Mary Russell Mitford to T.N. Talfourd, <date
> when="1822-08-13">1822 August 13</date>.<note resp="#lmw"><persName
> ref="#MRM">MRM</persName> dates this letter <date>August 13</date> and it
> is posted on <date>the 14th</date>.</note><!--ebb: Put an editorial note
> here when we need to explain how we arrived at this date. We could
> reference Coles, L'Estrange, or others here, too, if it helps to
> authenticate date, recipient, etc.--></head>
>
>  </head>
>
>               <physDesc>
>
>                   <objectDesc>
>
>                              <supportDesc>
>
>                           <support>
>
>       <p><material>Paper</material> with watermark in form of
> <watermark>anchor</watermark> visible on second sheet.</p>
>
>  <p>How many distinct sheets of paper do you count in this letter (as
> opposed to the number of pages--usually 4--marked on the fronts and backs
> and over folds)? Indicate number of sheets, and size of sheets, whether
> this is a fragment, and if so what appears to be missing. Two sheets of
> quarto-post folded in thirds twice. OR octavo-post OR 16-mo post, folded
> once or twice, etc. (If you can’t tell what size paper this is b/c you’re
> working with a photo or just don’t know, you can simply say, one large
> sheet, with a half-size smaller sheet inside, etc.)
>
>  Describe any watermarks here, and on what sheets they appear.
>
>  Envelope present, or only an address leaf?
>
>  [EXAMPLE]:  Folded in thirds twice: one sheet of quarto-post containing
> pages 1, 2, 5 and 6, and one sheet of half quarto post containing pages 3
> and 4. Watermark in form of <watermark>unicorn</watermark> visible on page
> three </p>
>
>  <p>Describe stamps or postal marks here.
>
>  It'll help to look at our slides on how to identify the different stamps:
>
> http://digitalmitford.wordpress.com/2014/05/27/the-digital-mitfords-guide-to-19th-century-british-postmarks-and-how-to-code-them-in-tei/
> <
> http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fdigitalmitford.wordpress.com%2F2014%2F05%2F27%2Fthe-digital-mitfords-guide-to-19th-century-british-postmarks-and-how-to-code-them-in-tei%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGIM5TZPunvD-TSJh2BJ7JV4kZ_UA
> >
>
>    Use the <lb/> element to indicate what’s above and below if needed.
> Envelope bearing large stamped date inside circle reading <date
> when="1818-04-20"><stamp>April 20<lb/>1818</stamp></date> above right of
> address. Address leaf bearing sepia-inked stamp reading <stamp><time>7
> o'Clock</time><lb/><date>29 * JU</date> <lb/><date>1820</date> N.
> <unclear><gap quantity="1" unit="chars"
> reason="illegible"/></unclear></stamp> at top left-hand edge upside down
> in relation to the writing of the address.</p>
>
>  </support>
>
>  <condition><p>Comment on the condition: is the letter damaged, signs of
> mold? Example: A portion of page 3 has been torn away under the
> seal.</p></condition>
>
>  </supportDesc>
>
>
>
>                    </objectDesc>
>
>                       <sealDesc>
>
>                                <p>Is there a seal on this letter? Describe
> it. Red oval-shaped wax seal with diagonal line, and at the bottom
> lettering <q>anders</q>. Or indicate here if the seal is missing.</p>
>
>           </sealDesc>
>
>           </physDesc>
>
>             </msDesc>
>
>      </sourceDesc>
>
>
>
>
>
>  On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 4:20 PM, Michael Hawkins <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>  I'm currently in the middle of updating a bunch of transcripts of
> manuscript correspondence to take advantage of correspDesc. However, I'm
> having problems figuring out how to deal with postmarks. Does anyone on the
> list have any suggestions on how they could be encoded? Unfortunately, our
> postmarks aren't currently encoded with a great deal of granularity. It
> isn't feasible (right now) to tease out the separate bits of information on
> places, dates, etc so that might limit the options a bit.
>
>  Thanks in advance,
>
>  Michael Hawkins
>
>
>
>
>  --
> Elisa Beshero-Bondar, PhD
> Associate Professor of English
> University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg
> Humanities Division
> 150 Finoli Drive
> Greensburg, PA  15601  USA
> E-mail: [log in to unmask]
> about.me/ebbondar
>
>
>
>
>  --
> Elisa Beshero-Bondar, PhD
> Associate Professor of English
> University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg
> Humanities Division
> 150 Finoli Drive
> Greensburg, PA  15601  USA
> E-mail: [log in to unmask]
> about.me/ebbondar
>
>  ------------------------------
>
>  End of TEI-L Digest - 29 Apr 2015 to 30 Apr 2015 (#2015-91)
> ***********************************************************
>
>