Dear all,

I'm marking up a series of medieval troubadour poetry handbooks, in
order to localize and classify all different definitions and types of
rhyme according to this cultural tradition. I am not transcribing
directly from the manuscripts (often preserved in numerous witnesses),
but from their modern editions; and not marking these works in their
entirety, but only those parts in which definitions of rhyme are given
in each text.

I'm using <div> to enclose each fragment of text in which these
definitions appear inside a given work. These fragments are in some
cases as short as a paragraph, and in others as long as a chapter would
be in a modern work. I usually have no more than two or three divs for
each work: <div n= “1”>, <div n= “2”> etc.

Now my question: within each <div> I usually find definitions of several
types of rhyme, which I'll duly mark up individually with @ana
attributes (thanks again, Lou!). But what element would you recommend
for these arbitrary (that is, created by me and not by the author)
chunks of text inside each <div>?

a) Again <div>? (But how should I differentiate the enclosing divs from
these 'sub-divs'?)

b) Switch to <seg>? (But I've only seen very short <seg> examples. I
have to enclose sometimes several paragraphs in one definition. Can
<seg> enclose whole paragraphs? And would <seg ana= “#A1”>, <seg ana=
“#C3”> etc. be a correct markup?)

Hypothetical example:

<seg ana= “#C3”><p>DELS RIMS UTRISSONANS. Rim utrissonan son dig can la
vocals muda lo significat de la dictio. mudan lo so plenissonan. en so.
semissonan. o pel contrari. segon. quom pot ayssi vezer.
<lg>
<l>Sias tempratz e gent apres. </l>
<l>En tas paraulas et apres. </l>
<l>Si fas de compas e de pes. </l>
<l>Sas obras remandran enpes.</l>
</lg>

As you can see, not every line of text inside every div refers to
definitions, and therefore not every line or paragraph would be enclosed
by <seg> or by these 'sub-divs'.

Thank you in advance,

Rosanna

Prof. Rosanna Cantavella
Universitat de València / Clare Hall, University of Cambridge