Hi,

- Sebastian, I agree that every element can be involved in variation
and.... I can only vaguely imagine the tremendous problems for TEI content
models, so a compromise would probably be the best!

- Limiting to a problem that, I guess, often happens, when the textual
variation is at block-level, it should be encoded with block-level <app>!
Seems more straightforward than all possible alternatives ...

- "normal" TEI user would worry about processing when encoding.
Which tools are available and which techniques you can use may in practice
influence your way of encoding ... e.g., xpointer is a powerful standard,
but pretty nothing can handle it.

(Big voices are speaking there, forget me if I am saying nonsense :)

Best wishes,
Elena S

--
Elena Spadini

Huygens ING - DiXiT Marie Curie fellow
PhD candidate Sapienza Università di Roma
@spadinelena
spadinielena.wordpress.com