Thank you all for your responses. So, I've ruled out <seg> because the
chunks are too large for it, and ruled out too a sub- <div> because
there are often paragraphs between definitions that are not definitions
themselves and should not be marked, therefore giving a non-tessellated
text.

These are the alternatives as suggested by you:

–-Lou's <quote> suggestion would be ideal if it weren't that these
chunks often include quotations (the stanza in this example), but they
are not the quotation. Quotation is not automatically given in every
case; sometimes the author himself makes up the stanza with which he
exemplifies his definition. Sometimes he doesn't even give an example.
In any case, marking the sources (quotation or not) is not yet my aim,
not in this phase of my work; just the classifying of different medieval
definitions (which is giving me enough pain as it is ;)).

–-As to <ab> (thanks, Paul and Fabio), it would be perfect (marked with
the @ana attribute), if it weren't for the tessellating aspect of it.
Unless <ab> doesn't need tessellating? (Wishful thinking :)) But would
at least be possible a tessellation of <ab>s in which some of them have
@ana and others no attribute?

---The same with <div>: I could go and sub-<div> all fragments inside a
attribute, and others not. Is that acceptable?

–-Peter's suggestion of going for a <p ana= “#C3”> would be the most
tempting: simple, clean, with the <p>s ensuring tessellation. But again:

1) Can a <p> element enclose a chunk of text longer than what we would
consider a 'natural' paragraph? (As, in my example, one <p> enclosing a
passage in prose *and* one in verse? Some definitions can run even
longer.)

2) Can I use within the same <div> some <p>s with @ana, and others
without it?

As you see, I'm totally ignorant of the systematicity rule of use of
attributes within a given element. Sorry.

So here you have again my example, this time with the <p> option: a
division with three paragraphs, of which only the second one is marked
with the @ana attribute (thanks, Sebastian; in my haste I had forgotten
to mark up my first <p>!). Would this be acceptable?:

vocals muda lo significat de la dictio. mudan lo so plenissonan. en so.
semissonan. o pel contrari. segon. quom pot ayssi vezer.
<lg>
<l>Sias tempratz e gent apres. </l>
<l>En tas paraulas et apres. </l>
<l>Si fas de compas e de pes. </l>
<l>Sas obras remandran enpes.</l>
</lg>

If none of this is valid, I might have to think of stand-off markup, as
suggested by Sebastian –but must I really? :( .

Thanks again, Gabby, Paul, Sebastian, Peter, Fabio, Lou.

Rosanna

Prof. Rosanna Cantavella
Universitat de València / Clare Hall, University of Cambridge

> I was assuming that the text would be completely divided in sub-div.
In the