Dear Torsten,

I think the third option is probably most typical situation - the
abbreviation is at the word level so you can wrap the <choice> in a <w>.

As to why you want to mark up words it's a whole different story. You said "in
our editions we usually wrap words (tokens) that go across lines in <w>,
so, why do they deserve this special treatment? I think only answering
these questions would allow to judge one way of encoding "better" than the
other.

Magdalena