Dear Torsten,

Like I said in an earlier message, to me, the choice between (b) and (c)
depends on some project-internal assumptions -- if for some reason it
would be easier for your processing or visualisation tools to be
presented with a continuous stream of <w>s and, at the same time, the
usage of <choice> would be heavily restricted, then well, one could
consider (c). Choice (b) requires adjustments to how you count <w>s or
how you point at them for visualisation (and there's a few more hidden
assumptions here).

As far as semantic equivalence between <w> and <choice> is concerned,
then from the "lexical" point of view, there is none. From the
"constructional" point of view, in those cases that you have selected,
there might be equivalence on the bottom-up route, but from the top-down
perspective (and as usual depending on some other assumptions), you
might need an extra test for each occurrence of <choice> to see if it's
really meant to stand for <w>, which altogether might negatively
influence the processing time and complexity.

Yet another bunch of assumptions concerns the way in which the markup is
to be constructed, and by who. It may sometimes be easier to have
encoding guidelines in which every instance of a word is to be clad in
<w> tags, and <choice> used for (... | ...) at whichever level.

HTH and best regards,

   Piotr