> I did try putting up an eXist database with all the texts for searching, but couldn’t justify maintaining it to myself. Wolfgang Meier did a better job of this, but there isn’t enough space in the margin to remember the URL for that.

Here's the URL:

http://showcases.exist-db.org/exist/apps/eebo/works/

The primary purpose of the app is to test the TEI Simple processing
model on a larger corpus
(http://showcases.exist-db.org/exist/apps/tei-simple/). All output
formats (HTML, FO, LaTeX, ePUB) are defined by the same ODD containing
processing instructions. This saved a few thousand lines of code
compared to the original app I used as a template ;-)

Not much work has gone into search yet, but the app is under active
development. Please note that it may break, go down or become slow
while I keep updating it.

Wolfgang