Thanks Radu —  for restoring my faith :) Unchecking the “Add default attribute values” did indeed remove the unwanted attributes from the output.

All best,
Toma

--
Toma Tasovac | @ttasovac
Belgrade Center for Digital Humanities

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 9:47 AM, Radu Coravu <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Toma,

It's possible that those extra attributes are defined as having default
values in the schemas used to validate the TEI content.

Are those TEI XML documents DTD-based or Relax NG based?
If they are Relax NG based and you are using Oxygen XML Editor to apply
the XSLT you can go to the Preferences->"XML / XML Parser / RELAX NG"
page and uncheck the "Add default attribute values" checkbox.

Regards,
Radu

Radu Coravu
http://www.oxygenxml.com