On 01/06/2015 11:27, Pete Bleackley wrote:
> The design goal of the incorporating Romlang is to be
> "Latin by the Road Less Travelled" -

Fair enough - but see comment on French below.
things that could

> plausibly have happened to Latin, but didn't.

That, of course, is arguable. One person's plausibility is
another's implausibility.

Bogolangs may be fun but IMO are implausible.  I am trying,
painfully slowly, to derive a (hopefully) plausible British
Romlang. But the while I think the point of divergence of
the alternate history of BART is not implausible, I do
accept Puey's critique of my outline of the subsequent
development of that alternate history.  Although, in theory,
my ceteris_paribus approach is possible, it is not, I
concede, the most plausible development:
http://www.carolandray.plus.com/BART/index.html#caveat

 > The
> incorporation arose from the elision of the nasal vowel
> endings of accusatives.

Whether that vowel was indeed nasal or not we simply do not
know - and cannot without time travel.  The evidence from
graffiti is that it wasn't.  But whether the vowel was nasal
or not, it did elide completely in verse as, I am sure you
know.

But elision and liaison have marked the Romance languages
and there is no reason to suppose it was not part of
(Vulgar) Latin.  These features have been carried to their
greatest extent in French.  Jacques Guy, a French linguist,
maintained more than once when he contributed to this list
that modern French was a polysynthetic language.  Arguably
the modern spoken language of France has a degree of
incorporation.

> The speakers are supposedly descended from the crew of a
> merchant ship, blown off course on the way back from
> India, and stranded on the coast of Somalia, some time
> during the First Triumvirate.

Crew of a merchant ship? So they would be speaking the
Vulgar Latin of the mid 1st century BCE and know nothing of
subsequent changes to that language.

There would, presumably, be vocabulary borrowing from native
language(s) of Somalia - especially if the crew were
(mainly) male        :)

--
Ray
http://www.carolandray.plus.com