Hallo conlangers!

On 02.06.2015 09:06, R A Brown wrote:

> On 01/06/2015 19:43, Jörg Rhiemeier wrote:
>> Hallo conlangers!
[...]
>> http://www.joerg-rhiemeier.de/Conlang/farewell-to-romlangs.html
>
> Oh dear, I see it says:
> "To be plausible, [Germanech] could not have been anything
> else than a Standard Average European language, and such
> languages are overdone. I simply could not motivate myself
> to carry on with this uninteresting language."

I have to say two things about my article.  First, it just relates my
personal experience with Germanech and romlangs in general, and is
accordingly *subjective*.  Second, it was written *before* you came up
with your Britainese project, which turned out to be more interesting
than I expected an SAE romlang project to be.

Indeed, "SAE" doesn't mean that the language has to be "uninteresting".
It is just a (poorly-defined!) bundle of linguistic features that do not
rule out that something beautiful and interesting happens in the
language.  For instance, with my current Hesperic language family
project, I have some of the languages been "drawn into" the SAE language
area, starting with something typologically more akin to Hittite and
Georgian, and preserved in purer form in Old Albic.

>>> I am trying, painfully slowly, to derive a (hopefully)
>>>  plausible British Romlang.
>
> To be plausible, Britainese will be a SAE language. Maybe
> that is why progress is slow.  It is not exactly the
> greatest motivation    :)

Sure.  One must also distinguish between the *process* and the *end
product*.  Once done, Britainese will probably look like "yet another
Romance language" that doesn't do many "interesting" things.  But the
process by which you approach it is very thoughtful and worth watching.

> I cannot argue with what you say about Germanech itself.
> Certainly simply grafting the sound changes of one language
> onto another different language is artificial and to a
> lesser or greater degree must be a botched job.

Actually, there are a few things about Germanech I like, and I don't
consider it an entirely botched job.  Yet, I am not really satisfied
with what came out of it, and feel little desire to carry on with it.
At least, it was a good practical exercise, though of "beginner level"
perhaps, in diachronic conlanging, and I learned some things from it
which I could apply to later, more mature projects.

> I am not sure I go along with "... there simply is no way to
> do [Romlangs] well."  Sure, the production of Romlangs _far_
> exceeds demand and many are IMO poorly done.  But
> that does not per_se mean someone cannot do the thing well.

Point taken.  As I have said above, I did not foresee the way you would
take the challenge of a British Romance language when I wrote my article.

> The section "The more interesting, the less plausible" is
> IMO largely true.  A Roman merchant ship blown off course
> onto the shores of the American continent where a Romlang
> then took root may be fun, but one should not pretend it's
> plausible.  IMO some spoil the fun element of "weird
> Romlangs" by trying to maintain the thing is plausible.

Fine.  Strange things happen in the real world, for sure; yet, most
romlangs I have seen either do not do anything remarkable, are based on
questionable methodology (usually, bogolangs), or require an unlikely
chain of events to unfold.  Bretainese is likely to fall into the first
category, but it is the process that is interesting here, while in my
article, I looked at end products.

> Maybe by aiming at plausibility with Britainese, I'm missing
> out on the fun.  That is possibly true.
>
> So if Romlangs are not among the "many interesting and
> edifying things a conlanger can do", why carry on with
> Britainese?  A fair question. The only answer I can give
> is that on the introductory page to Britainese:
> "The project is to create an altlang, i.e. a language of an
> alternate history. It is the result of discussion that took
> place on the "On Creating Altlangs" thread on the Conlang
> list in February 2013, and of private exchange of emails
> following that thread, I was persuaded to begin this project."
> http://www.carolandray.plus.com/BART/index.html
>
> Having begun it, I feel obliged to finish even tho 'twill
> inevitably be a SAE.

Sure!  Carry on!  It would be a pity if your considerations were to lead
to nothing.

--
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf