This all seems unlikely to me.

-----Original Message-----
From: Constructed Languages List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Daniel Bowman
Sent: Saturday, June 06, 2015 10:36 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Ramifications of the Oracle vs Google court case on conlang copyright

Hello all,

I just read an interesting article that was posted to Slashdot.  It claims that Oracle's attempt to sue Google over their use of the JavaScript API could have consequences for conlangs such as Klingon and Dothraki:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2015/06/oracle_v_google_klingon_and_copyrighting_language.html

We have discussed the difference entre natural and programming languages before, a distinction the article doesn't seem interested in exploring.  Also, the author seems to simply be speculating on how an Oracle win could impact well known conlangs.  I don't see anything beyond the author's opinion that suggests this court case could serve as a precedent for, say, suing someone for speaking Klingon.

Anyone have any thoughts?  Would this work in court, do you think?

Danny