On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 12:05 PM, Jeff Daniel Rollin-Jones
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
[snip]
>> 2. Eliminate inconsistencies. If you like the head-final and SOV of
>> Japanese, but also the case affixes and free-form word order of Latin,
>> you’ve got to choose one.
>
> I disagree vehemently here. A lot of the "naturalness" of natural language is in its irregularities, not only
[snip]

I have to disagree as well. Natural languages seem to have a lot of
oddities in them. But I think what makes such oddities truly
naturalistic is when those oddities are motivated (usually
historically). Almost all inconsistencies in grammar seem to come from
_somewhere_ and make sense in context ("regular irregularities" as
they talk about on Conlangery).

I think that needless or unmindful inconsistencies hurt a language.
But a clever display of irregularities that have viable motivation
behind them? That's an example of sophistication in the conlanger's
art. IMHO.

Scott