On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 18:00:36 -0400, J S Jones <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>May29 is an exolang I'm trying to develop vocabulary for -- roots are subject to change. It's is spoken by serial hermaphrodites, so gender is habitual/long-term rather than inherent. The following is a proposed kinship system.

Here's Version 2:

Kinship roots use Y-stem-X morphology (and Y X stem syntax). Kinship terms are chains which contain the habitual term shon "spouse" and/or inherent kinship subchains. The basic inherent kinship terms are the following:

daa, da-	X is mother of Y
kaa, ka-	X is father of Y
thei, thi-	X is offspring of Y
rou, ro-	X and Y are full siblings

The hyphenated forms are non-final in the subchain. The age specifiers, which occur only finally (and immediately after ro- or thi-) in the subchain are:

maa	X is older than Y
kei	X is younger than Y
pou	X and Y are the same age

Here are some example terms:

dakaropou	X is Y's mother's father's twin
kathimaa	X is Y's older paternal half-sibling
thidaa		X is the mother of someone that Y is the father of
shondaa		X is Y's mother-in-law
shonthei	X is Y's step-child

The Version 1 form _daafer_ is no longer possible, but one could say:

jimos ja daa dashi kaha he
child-Def Ani-O mother, woman-Def father-O Fin
"The child's mother is the woman's father."