On 10 Jul 2015 21:16, "Anthony Miles" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Patngosko uses front/back vowel harmony in its suffixes; /a/ is a neutral
vowel. Suffixes have a default vowel which appears after /a/.

> mal-klos > malklos 'beards'
> nget-klos > ngetkles 'eyes'
> krit-klos > kritkles 'birds' (/kr/ is a velar rhotic)
> pon-klos > pongklos 'heads'
> fut-klos > futklos 'hands'
>
> mal-'il > mal'il 'beards'
> nget-'il > nget'il 'eyes'
> krit-'il > krit'il 'birds'
> pon-'il > pong'ul 'heads'
> fut-'il > fut'ul 'hands'
>
> A Great Vowel Shift then shifts Patngosko to Pangngusku: [u] became [i[,
[o] became [u], and [e] became [a].

> malklos > mallus 'beards'
> ngetkles > ngallas 'eyes'
> kritkles > rillas 'birds'
> pongklos > punglus 'heads'
> futklos > fillas 'hands'
>
> mal'il > mal'il 'beards'
> nget'il > ngat'il 'eyes'
> krit'il > rit'il 'birds'
> pon'ul > pun'il 'heads'
> fut'ul > fit'il 'hands'
>
> As you can see, the old vowel harmony no longer applies.

New morphonemes are created to define the sets of alternating phonemes
whose likeness of behaviour can no longer be captured by phonological
features. Morphemes consist of morphonemes. One morphoneme is an {u,a}
alternation conditioned by whether it follows a u-triggering morphoneme or
an a-triggering morphoneme. U-triggering morphonemes are /u/ and a
U-Triggering I morphoneme and a U-Triggering A morphoneme. A-triggering
morphonemes are non-U-triggering I and A morphonemes.

--And.