Den 2015-07-21 13:00, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets skrev:
> I seem to remember reading that Tolkien's Elves could be considered to have
> edeitic memories. Not only that, but to them the process of remembering is
> less like ours and more like literally reliving the past (basically a sort
> of literal flashback. This also explains their focus on the past: to them,
> it's just as relevant and alive as the present, while the future is
> non-existent to them). So yes, not only did the Elves have immortal lives,
> but they also had immortal memories (although that's only true in the
> Undying Lands. On Middle-Earth they are susceptible to diminishing, and
> that includes their memory abilities).

Tolkien wrote that the Elves didn't actually remember the past
stages in the development of their language, but remembered past
events and utterances as if they had spoken and/or heard their
contemporary language (i.e. the language they spoke at the time of
recall), so it actually did make sense for them to conduct
diachronic as well as synchronic linguistics. Apparently the Elves
had plenty of time not only to collect memories, but also plenty
of time to forget them. I haven't seen anywhere stated by Tolkien
that Elves didn't forget memories of the past similarly to mortal
Men; he seems not to have stated anything explicitly on the issue,
but he says that they wrote both linguistic and political
histories, so apparently they were forgetful; if we forget things
that happened a decade ago why wouldn't they forget things which
happened hundreds or thousands of years ago?  Elrond says that he
remembers the fall of Thangorodrim clearly, but for one thing he
was half Man half Elf so his memory may have worked differently,
and for another he doesn't say that he remember other less
significant events as clearly.  Perhaps Elves had to forget in
order to not have their minds weighed down by all the memories!

I used to think that it was strange that Elves' language would
change until I realized that the language of a human does or at
least can change a lot during our lifetime. Not only do words,
expressions and phrases go in and out of fashion, but so does
grammar and pronunciation. For example I know for a fact that I
used to have [r] as an allophone of the Swedish /r/ phoneme, but
nowadays I must make an effort to use it, having replaced it with
[ɻ] in my ordinary speech. I still use [ɾ] about as I used to, but
the younger generation around here have [ɻ] as their only
allophone.  This may very well be a 'borrowing' from Central
Sweden accents rather than a spontaneous sound change, but it does
constitute phonological change within a lifetime.

Den 2015-07-21 16:31, Jörg Rhiemeier skrev:
> The only featural script in frequent use in the real world, Korean
> Hangul, was designed by scholars whose ideas on the sounds of
> language were, via Chinese, influenced by the Indian grammatical
> tradition.

Not only that: they almost certainly benefited from direct
knowledge of an Indic script, namely the Tibetan alphabet in its
'Phags-pa incarnation:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_hangul#Ledyard.27s_theory_of_consonant_letters>