From: Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 12:22 pm
Subject: Re: statistical naturalism of alphabets

On 21 July 2015 at 12:21, And Rosta <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 21 Jul 2015 08:14, "J. 'Mach' Wust" <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
> > Also, the immortal Elves do not need a tool for the conservation of
> > thought through time.
>
> How come? I find in my experience that writing mitigates not only death but
> also forgetfulness. Did the Elves have not only immortal lives but also
> immortal memories?

I seem to remember reading that Tolkien's Elves could be considered to have
edeitic memories. Not only that, but to them the process of remembering is
less like ours and more like literally reliving the past (basically a sort
of literal flashback. This also explains their focus on the past: to them,
it's just as relevant and alive as the present, while the future is
non-existent to them). So yes, not only did the Elves have immortal lives,
but they also had immortal memories (although that's only true in the
Undying Lands. On Middle-Earth they are susceptible to diminishing, and
that includes their memory abilities).
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
President of the Language Creation Society (http://conlang.org/)