Dear Syd and Paul,

The bad news, I'm sorry to say, is that I
> don't think there's a lot of consensus on this question.
>
> [...]
>
> I hesitate to speak for 'common practice' since practice differs so
> widely.

Thank you both very much this guidance, and for confirming that there
exists a multitude of approaches which appear to be quite valid from the
standpoint of implementation.

My guess is that something (8) or (9) is what you're looking for??

Yes, particularly option 9 (as this would ensure that bidirectional links
be forged within the encoding of the Document).  I shall be certain to
review this implementation with our stakeholders.

Many thanks again, and have a pleasant day.

Sincerely,
James