Hi Amy,

You've clearly done a huge amount of homework before asking this question!

For me, the single biggest advantage of using TEI as a base format in a
scenario such as the one you outline is that it covers a huge range of
use-cases. You have a wide variety of document types, many born-digital
but some presumably not, and while some of the schemas you list (XHTML
for instance) are general-purpose schemas, some are highly specialized
(NLM is for journal articles; DITA has a very specific set of use-cases;
and DAISY and ePub are more publication formats than encoding schemes).
TEI, on the other hand, is ready to handle everything from born-digital
journal articles to medieval manuscripts, dictionaries/glossaries,
prosopographies, gazetteers, and a wealth of other material types and
forms. So the TEI may make a good base format in which to embed other
content in other namespaces where necessary; it may even provide
everything you need, enabling you to generate other outputs (XHTML,
ePub, talking books, DITA) from it.

I hope this helps,
Martin