If you know the user’s GitHub handle, and if they’ve provided an email, you can look it up via the GitHub API, e.g. https://api.github.com/users/martindholmes (look for the "email" field), so usually it would be pretty simple to get an email for a committer and email them at that address. I think GitHub made the decision a few years back that they didn’t want to be in the messaging business—that’s what email is for, after all.

All the best,
Hugh

/**
 *  Hugh A. Cayless, Ph.D
 *  Chair, TEI Technical Council
 *  Duke Collaboratory for Classics Computing (DC3)
 *  http://blogs.library.duke.edu/dcthree/
**/