From: Martin Holmes [[log in to unmask]]
To: [log in to unmask] [[log in to unmask]]
Subject: Re: editing the TEI stylesheets

On 15-08-12 09:31 AM, Hugh Cayless wrote:
> If you know the user’s GitHub handle, and if they’ve provided an email,
> you can look it up via the GitHub API, e.g.
> https://api.github.com/users/martindholmes (look for the "email" field),
> so usually it would be pretty simple to get an email for a committer and
> email them at that address. I think GitHub made the decision a few years
> back that they didn’t want to be in the messaging business—that’s what
> email is for, after all.

Yes, I've been looking at that, but it's not clear to me how we could
build this into the Jenkins build process. What Jenkins does is:

Did the build fail?

If so, check the repo for the last committer, and combine that with the
default email address suffix and send mail to it.

We have no control over that, other than providing the suffix, and a
fixed list of email addresses to which the email will be copied. We'd
have to add a post-build step of some kind -- and I don't see one that
fits the bill -- to do the API call, parse the JSON and send the email.
I don't think it's trivial to do.

If we decide it's essential, we could do more investigation.

Cheers,
Martin