Dear Syd and Paul,

The bad news, I'm sorry to say, is that I
don't think there's a lot of consensus on this question.

[...]

I hesitate to speak for 'common practice' since practice differs so
widely.

Thank you both very much this guidance, and for confirming that there exists a multitude of approaches which appear to be quite valid from the standpoint of implementation.

My guess is that something (8) or (9) is what you're looking for??

Yes, particularly option 9 (as this would ensure that bidirectional links be forged within the encoding of the Document).  I shall be certain to review this implementation with our stakeholders.

Many thanks again, and have a pleasant day.

Sincerely,
James