taliesin the storyteller wrote:
> J S Jones is using temporary vocab in his not to be spoken Jul23/C6, and
> I've had to resort to a lot of temporary vocab in especially relays,
> beause some symbol to mark place and meaning is needed in a hurry while
> finding the proper, final expression/representaion of same meaning can
> be very, very hard... for me at least.
>
> How common is having to resort to temporary vocabulary? Do you keep
> track of them all so you can change them all the hypothetical day when
> you find the proper expresssion/representation so you can easily to a
> global search/replace? Do you mark them somehow? In Taruven I suffix
> them with {vuh}, meaning "word", with not much system in what goes in
> front off the vuh, as long as it is unique.

My recent vocabulary lists have used color coding to mark provisional
vs. well-established words. Most new words start at red, and may spend
some time at orange before getting to green and eventually blue.
Temporary or random vocabulary starts out as pink, typically undergoing
one or more changes before becoming established in the language.

In theory even the blue words can change, but it's less likely at that
point.

> What do you do to find the "real" word to replace the placeholder with,
> besides generating all possible roots in the language and picking one
> more or less randomly?
>

> t.

I've had limited success with random generation. Usually the random
words don't sound quite right for the part, and they don't fit well with
other randomly selected words. I might look for a gap in the vocabulary,
a pattern of sounds I haven't used in a while, or words with vaguely
similar meanings that might have been related in the distant past.

Selecting a word for a meaning, or a meaning for a word, is one of those
things that just takes familiarity with the language and having a feel
for what fits and what doesn't.