Hallo conlangers!

On 13.08.2015 14:15, taliesin the storyteller wrote:

> J S Jones is using temporary vocab in his not to be spoken Jul23/C6,
> and I've had to resort to a lot of temporary vocab in especially
> relays, beause some symbol to mark place and meaning is needed in a
> hurry while finding the proper, final expression/representaion of same
> meaning can be very, very hard... for me at least.

I know that problem very well.  Almost all of my Old Albic relay texts
contained ad-hoc words which I later felt to be wrong.  For this reason,
I did not take part in relays for quite a while.  I was in the current
one - and since then, I have already found a malformed word in the relay
text.

> How common is having to resort to temporary vocabulary? Do you keep
> track of them all so you can change them all the hypothetical day when
> you find the proper expresssion/representation so you can easily to a
> global search/replace? Do you mark them somehow? In Taruven I suffix
> them with {vuh}, meaning "word", with not much system in what goes in
> front off the vuh, as long as it is unique.

Most temporary words don't even make it into my dictionary file (which
is in utter disarray anyway), and are soon replaced.

> What do you do to find the "real" word to replace the placeholder
> with, besides generating all possible roots in the language and
> picking one more or less randomly?

I don't pick roots randomly.  Or when I did, the words soon seemed wrong
to me.  My next project with Old Albic (once I get back to conlanging; I
am currently occupied with other projects) will be an etymological
dictionary (I already started it) by which I hope to get order into the
vocabulary.  Most of my current Old Albic words will probably find their
way into it, but some that feel awkward will be dropped and replaced by
more "correct" formations.

--
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf