Sonority peaks are phonetically real, but is a syllable nothing more than a
sonority peak?

FWIW, my take on English phonology is that it doesn't contain syllables. Of
course every English speaker can even consciously count the number of
'syllables' in a word, and any model of English phonology should have a way
of capturing the things that are being counted, but I think those things
(i) don't play a role in English phonology beyond verse metre and (ii)
aren't phonological phrases (with contents, constituents and boundaries) so
are nothing like the mainstream phonological conception of syllables. I
hope my confreres here will forgive me mentioning this here before I'm
ready to publish it.

--And.