As Garth points out, this is anything but new. In fact, rather than calling it a universal, it makes sense to think of it as a maxim in the Gricean sense (that is it can be flouted for pragmatic effect). That's what John Haiman was getting at in his paper on iconicity from 1982.

http://www.eva.mpg.de/lingua/conference/10-CompetingMotivations/pdf/Haiman_1983_Iconic_economic_motivation.pdf

Sent from my iPhone