On Fri, 4 Sep 2015 13:19:41 -0700
William Wright <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Aren't there subcategories of derived nouns? I already knew they were
> nouns, there just seems to be a separate class that doesn't fit under
> any category or subcategory I know of.

That's one of those "how long is a piece of string?" questions. From
verbs, one can have derivatives for action (reading), agent (reader),
result (judgement), instrument (rake), place (auditorium), and as many
precise distinctions as one cares to make.. Some languages will have
more than others: English, unlike Latin, has no handy place derivatives.

> What does (or did) the abstract-forming suffix do, semantically
> speaking?

Latin -ti- suffix is versatile because it started as an -io- suffix on
roots with a -t- suffix and then became independent. The feminines
(-tia) are the mist abstract abstract. The semantic range is
considerable; only artificial auxiliary languages have single-purpose
derivatives.

prope "near" > propitius "handy" > "favourable"

comitium "meeting-place" < com "with" + i "go" + t (no particular
meaning) + io "adjective"

duritia "hardness" < durus "hard"