Den 2015-08-31 kl. 18:18, skrev And Rosta:
> To use THEM when the antecedent is specific and of known gender
> seems, in mainstream 2015 use, to be deliberately concealing
> gender,

Which is exactly how _hen_ is used and perceived.

 > and draws attention to itself.

Ditto.

FWIW I once or twice asked my wife and her sister whether it would
be possible to write a short story in Finnish and conceal the
gender of the protagonist without drawing attention to the fact,
since the Finnish third person personal pronoun is
gender-unspecified.  Neither of them thought it would be possible.

/bpj