It appears that what little formal linguistics education I've had has mislead me regarding the theoretical importance of topic/comment structures. I think the intention within the linguistics course I had was to point out that not all languages work like Western languages by mentioning that some languages treat the topic/comment distinction as more important than subject/object. But unless I just don't know the terminology, there's nothing in WALS about this structure.

Anyway, I know that in Japanese the topic marker -wa is very common, and I seem to remember that the language Imonda has a topic marker ("-fe" I think) which has some unusual features (If I'm remembering right it can occur multiple times in one sentence). What I'm having trouble finding is a broader overview of languages and the different ways topic markers are handled.

-Daniel Demski