I've been bemused by a saying in the NZ Rugby Community for at least a couple of
decades, to wit: "Bring back Buck!" It refers to one Buck Shelford, though at
times I have been tempted to ask, "Pearl Buck?"

After a while I decided to enquire about its possible back-formations, using
Charles as the model. Eg, Charlie, Chas, Chuck, which are the derived forms of
the name that I am familiar withy.

So from Buck, we deduce that there is a Barles, and Barlie, and Bas. Pearl Buck
was once Pearl Barlie. :)

(It occurs to me that this may have been one of the methods Tolkien used for
word-formation in Quenya and other Elvish languages.)

I take it I am not the only one who has played around with this type of word
formation.

Wesley Parish

"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor,
Method for Guitar

"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on." -- Samuel Goldwyn