On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 13:58:00 +0100, R A Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On 04/08/2015 08:42, R A Brown wrote:
>
>> 3. "Glide metathesis" or rather, depalataization leaving
>>  /j/ to form a diphthong with the preceding vowel, e.g.
>> Spanish _sepa_ <- *_saipa_ <- *sapʲa <- VL *sapja (=
>> Classical _sapiat_) "that s/he know" [subjunctive]
>>
>> 4. Palatalized labial becomes a plain labial + a palatal
>>  consonant, e.g.
>> Greek _klepto:_ <- *klepco: <- *klepʲo: <-- Proto-Greek
>> *klepjo:  "I steal"
>> Romantsch _sapcia_ /'sapʧa/ <- *sapʲa <- VL *sapja
[...]
>At long last I have discovered     :)
>
>I was wrong about Britainese adopting strategy 4; it adopted
>strategy 3.  Se the final section (4.2.8) of:
>http://www.carolandray.plus.com/BART/consonants.html

Ah, all these glimpses of Britaineses that might have been!  How I wish there were the extra hours in the day that would allow you to sketch out the dialectal variation: there must be sòme isoglosses crisscrossing Britain, just as there are plenty on the continent.  I guess I'll just have to resort to my imagination, tainted by bogotism, of e.g. Britainophone North Wales where <u> retains its value [1]...

Alex