On 23/10/2015 21:29, Jörg Rhiemeier wrote:
> Hallo conlangers!
>
> On 23.10.2015 08:07, Gleki Arxokuna wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure why so many different parts of speech are
>>  necessary. E.g. why pronouns as a separate class, why
>>  not just predicates?

It would seem from Ralph L. DeCarli's email that this being
asked about Liva.  If so, I am somewhat puzzled.

I've read the Liva document a few times, and only parts of
speech I find are the following six, with two having subclasses:
1. *deictics* begin with a nasal {m, n, ñ, q}
2. *nouns* begin with a voiceless occlusive {p, t, c, k}
3 *relators* begin with a voiceless fricative {f, þ, s, x}:
        symmetric relators begin with {f}
        diadic relators begin with {þ, s}
        triadic relators begin with {x}
4. *quantifiers* begin with a non-labial nasal+homorganic
voiceless occlusive {nt, ñc, qk}
5, *intensionals* begin with {mp}
6. *markers* begin with a lateral {w, l, £, r}:
        word markers begin with {w}
        predication markers begin with {l}
        relation markers begin with {£}
        quantification markers begin with {r}

I do not see "pronoun" in the above and, indeed, I've done a
search of the whole document and cannot find any instance of
the word "pronoun" - so I'm somewhat baffled.

Tho as to why Claudio thought the above six parts of speech
necessary, I don't know other than the explanations given in
the document.  I suppose one could contact him, tho whether
he is still interested in Liva I don't know.  I do have a
link to his website on my 'Glossopoeia & Glossopoeic
Language', page.  It is:
http://www-dimat.unipv.it/gnoli/

> In my (dormant) speedtalk project Quetch (I am not sure
> yet whether it will be a loglang), I am planning to have
>  only two parts of speech: content words (nouns,
> pronouns, verbs, adjectives) and relation words
> (prepositions, conjunctions).

Piashi (the last avatar of 'briefscript', before the
briefscript project was abandoned) also had just the two
sets, tho IIRC the SAE 'pronoun' would be represented by a
relation word.

> A simple predicate consists of a content ...
[snip]

Looking back at old material, I see I do discuss predicates
- but it's not clear whether they relate to predicates of
formal logic or the predicates of traditional (Aristotelian)
grammar.   I don't recall ever intending any avatar of the
briefscript project being a loglang - but looking at the
stuff again it could have gone that way.

Um - shall I go back to it after I have dealt with
Britainese morphology and syntax??     :)

--
Ray