Pete Bleackley wrote:

> You haven't found merechi's poetry yet.

Agreed! All I can say, Amanda, is if you feel like a nine year old when trying to write or compose something in your merechi, then compose a poem a nine year old merechi speaker might be expected to write!

In any event, keep at it until you find the poetry of your language. Be open to it not being like English poetry. Perhaps even to its being not what we tend to think of as poetic at all. You'll find it eventually, and probably how you least expect it.

Garth Wallace wrote:

> I want Ilion poetry to use quantitative meter like Latin, but it has very strict word order. One idea I had (which I haven't tried yet) is to translate
> some haiku into Ilion, coining words as I go so the translation ends up in a regular meter.

Avantimannish (unashamedly Germanic conlang) uses a combination of deliberately archaic language, quantitative meter and archaic chant formulas for certain kinds of poetry. This is the opening of one of the country's great epic poems:

cânô douwtham allere monôm fallen weralthes thââs
bôôuumdomam dohhôm mahtihh ofer manamaz waldund
hwôô! hernowthes valoses lambherdes sôôwerthundum waldands
cânô livetham ênsame manamaz rêhhum nihhes yândez
cwemat nuw sternô fierfulle ofer hev’namaz blaqe ho’t fleuhend
erthawarthes fefelle ho sternôm frahund thrêy erent cwemend

I sing death of all Men in this fallen world
the evil of Powers mighty over men ruling
lo! the deeds of valour of shepherd, of hero, of king
I sing life of selfsame Men, a realm both near and far
comes now the star, fire-full over heaven shining-black she flies
earthwards fell she, the star seekers three they are coming

Always liked the sound of Latin metrical poetry and think it sounds pretty good layered onto Germanic. Well, a Gmc langauge that still has good vowel length distinction and anyway!