On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 1:35 PM, Padraic Brown
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Sounds reasonable. Also, I think the good doctor himself was well educated and thus more likely, in that age, to have been exposed to good literature and poetry. Kind of stands to reason that, having invented a language, he'd dabble in the poetical arts. I notice that most modern constructed IALs tend to eschew the poetic route and focus on simple communication of immediate needs.

He wrote some of the best early poetry in the language, although
better poets came along later.

>> is and perhaps where you can find a good fish-n-chips. E-o is much more than this anymore. My opinion only, but I'd say it's kind of graduated and become something of a naturalised language. It's still a second language for almost everyone that speaks it, but for those (lucky?) few who have it as one of their cradle languages, it is a natural language. And a pretty neat one for all it was conceived in the mind of a single man!

I agree that it's become more than an IAL conlang, though not just
because of the existence of native speakers.  Native speakers are
impressive evidence, but I focus more on the fact that the language
has evolved over time from the sketch that Zamenhof published in 1887.
People mostly learn these days from corpus-based lessons and grammars,
and by example from other speakers, and from literature (not just
textual) by people other than Zamenhof.  If all of Zamenhof's writings
disappeared, the speaker community would continue to exist and slowly
grow over time.

>> comes up! E-o may not be an artlang, but it is surely a monument to the conlangers' art!

I think it started out in the orangish-yellow area of the Gnoli
triangle, with a fair bit of artlanginess mixed with the predominant
auxlanginess (and a smidgen of engelanginess, arguably, in things like
the correlative table).

http://www.carolandray.plus.com/Glosso/Glossopoeia.html#gnoli-triang

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 8:48 AM, Jörg Rhiemeier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> apparently finds disappointing is that it is in prose; but some early verse
> versions exist (although in English, not in Quenya or Sindarin) and have
> been published posthumously by CJRT in the volume _The Lays of Beleriand_
> (History of Middle-earth vol. 3).  Yet, a verse rendition of the

I'll recommend the _Lays of Beleriand_.  They're unfinished, but
they're good narrative poetry.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/