> Wait 24 hours, and then rewrite it from memory. Memorise it and destroy it
> again.

Pete, about the method you described, were trying to imitate the following
procedure -

Our ancestors did not know how to write down legends and stories. So they
passed down stories in the form of songs. And tips / advice in the form of
rhyming couplets. The poetic structure helped people remember stuff easily
and pass it faithfully to next generation.

Also, has this method been tried successfully ?

Regards,
Reader.