Hi all,

I may be misunderstanding but the @unit attribute is not
generally referring to the human readable text (e.g. when one is
transcribing an existing manuscript description) but the
normalised @quantity that is provided.

So what is wrong with:

  <height unit="mm" quantity="190">8°</⁠height>

Or something like that.

I do agree though, that an octavo format isn't precisely to do
with height and width, but more accurately the collation format
of the book.  I'd be putting this information under <collation>
and just providing modern measurements (mm in preference ;-) )
for the dimensions.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, Academic IT Services, University of Oxford TEI
Consultations: [log in to unmask]