Given that the traditional designations (still in use, I might add)
frequently stand in for, but do not exactly represent height, or
width, or even 'dimensions', is there any reason not to use the
more generic <measure> element within <extent>?

<extent>
   <measure type="format">small 8°</measure>
   <dimensions>
        <height/>
        <width/>
   </dimensions>
</extent>

I'm a little dubious about putting this info in collation,
though it obviously has some relevance there -- since
in so many descriptions it is very close to a description of
size (especially in formulations like 'large folio' etc.).

Mind, I don't actually use this set of elements, so I
may have got it all wrong.

pfs

--
Paul Schaffner  Digital Library Production Service
[log in to unmask] | http://www.umich.edu/~pfs/