Piotr, I agree that the term "business meeting" is offputting.  I think
at some point people started using this term for the Annual Meeting, and
the name stuck.  I was just following on Peter Stadler's comment about
whether there are formal restrictions on having an event, and I voiced
my support for his suggestion of "community meeting" as the term under
which we advertise the Annual Meeting in the future.

I don't think this is a problem created by the TEI allowing individual
memberships: even before then, the conference was open to staff at
non-member institutions, and we wanted them to attend the Annual Meeting
to learn more about the organization.

Kevin